20161014

Matt Dennison


Tonight This Night
Once I sprung myself
from the heartland factory trap
I could not be stopped I was a bullet
aimed at the heart of the matter I FLEW
to the ocean that swallows the sun bounced
off its brittle morning twice but on that lucky
third thrust pierced a house of mad men walking
up the morning coast feet bare pants rolled up pipe
stuck in mouth JAUNTY I was playing with dogs
laughing children telling musical life stories with
others slowly the ocean opened its mouth gulped
the sun's fallopian swim to the morning's east birth
slowly I walked faster stronger deeper heavier did
my footprints break the waves at my passing through
less light dogs children others deeper did I walk longer
could not stop heart of matter closing in yes it was dark
could still see little rested little took a step an other walking
fast as before all sun swallowed cannot see ocean only hear
waves when seen seemed small under black sound huge don't
look at sky for fear of God’s Great Knowledge of Infinite causing
Infinite Fear for speck of dust seeing behind clouds into Heaven's
Heart of Matter begging take my wish away on this ultimate falling
up into spiraling hole spinning down Pray for Hand To Catch Me
but do not believe so close eyes with own eyes ears with own ears
and know with own knowing that tonight this night is New Year's Eve.



SIMILARITUS

fisher
manfor
tunete
llerpo
etallw
aitfor
thetug





Quadrant
with Marie Craven






After a rather extended and varied second childhood in New Orleans, Matt Dennison’s work has appeared in Rattle, Bayou Magazine, Redivider, Natural Bridge, The Spoon River Poetry Review and Cider Press Review, among others. He has also made videos with poetry videographers Michael Dickes and Swoon, as well as Marie Craven.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home