20140221

A. J. Huffman


I Lost My Marbles

in a wind tunnel of thought. Immobilized,
I could only watch as they dropped through
theoretical holes I did not devise. I willed
this world to tilt, let them slide away, but
the walls had their own gravity, refused
this proposal of new moons in their midst,
released my arms instead. Motion granted,
I dove head-first after the last, not knowing
or caring where either of us would land.


Autumn’s Back In My Inbox

A storm of color-shot retorts
replicating en masse. Branching
out, re-rooting. The busier squirrels
horde their words. Chitter spastic
responses, before retreating to winter
weatheralls. Cavelike hollows hold
my calls till hibernation ends. All
nonsensical pre-cursors I slush through,
childlike, half-forgetting the dangers
of jumping headfirst into the pile.


Electric Carrots

grow in intentionally darkened cells
with cellophane walls. Seedlessly
sprouting in day-glo orange rows of visual
potential. Enhanced
modifications seep from pseudo-soil
into their core. They crunch a little
rough, but inspire inner visions of epic
proportions.




A.J. Huffman has published seven solo chapbooks and one joint chapbook through various small presses. She is a Pushcart Prize nominee, and the winner of the 2012 Promise of Light Haiku Contest. Her poetry, fiction, and haiku have appeared in hundreds of national and international journals, including Labletter, The James Dickey Review, Bone Orchard, EgoPHobia, Kritya, and Offerta Speciale, in which her work appeared in both English and Italian translation. She is also the founding editor of Kind of a Hurricane Press.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home